Bhubaneswar: The flood situation in six districts of Odisha remained critical on Wednesday, affecting more than 11.80 lakh people, as authorities placed Balasore district on high alert following a sharp rise in the water level of the Subarnarekha river.
Odisha Revenue and Disaster Management Minister Suresh Pujari said water levels in most rivers across the state were either stable or receding by Wednesday afternoon. However, the Subarnarekha continued to rise at an alarming rate.
Suresh Pujari said district administrations in Bhadrak, Jajpur and Mayurbhanj had been asked to remain vigilant, while the Balasore district administration was placed on specific high alert and directed to take all necessary precautionary measures.
The minister said a rise in the Subarnarekha could pose a serious threat to densely populated areas, including Baliapal, Basta and Jaleswar blocks.
Authorities are closely monitoring the situation and have been instructed to take preventive measures to minimise the impact of the flooding.




