Kerala News Politics

Letter Controversy: Hard disk and cell phone forensic testing today

Hard drives and mobile phones that the Crime Branch confiscated as part of the continuing investigation into the letter controversy involving the Thiruvananthapuram Municipal Corporation will be subjected to forensic testing today.

Following court procedures, the five computer hard drives taken by the Crime Branch from the Thiruvananthapuram Mayor’s office and the mobile phones of the former parliamentary party chairman, D R Anil, were delivered to the Forensic Science Laboratory for inspection on Saturday.

Officials from the Crime Branch want to know if the letter that was written to the CPM’s Thiruvananthapuram district secretary Anavoor Nagappan and seemed to be in Mayor Arya Rajendran’s name was actually created on the confiscated computers.

The investigation’s goal is to determine which computer was used to create the letter in the Mayor’s official letterhead.

When it was revealed that the letter requested Nagappan’s endorsement of CPM supporters for appointment as temporary staff for various roles in the Thiruvananthapuram Municipal Corporation, there was a political outcry.

To determine whether the letter had been distributed, the mobile phones of D R Anil were seized. The Crime Branch has stated that a case would be opened if it was discovered that the letter had been created in the devices or distributed.

Although the Crime Branch has recorded D R Anil and other witnesses’ statements as part of the ongoing investigation, it is learned that the organisation has not yet recorded Nagappan’s statement.

On the Chief Minister’s order following receipt of a complaint from the Mayor, the Crime Branch had earlier launched a preliminary investigation. The subsequent inquiry included the confiscation of the phones and computers.

Despite claims to the contrary from Crime Branch personnel, it has been impossible to locate the original letter despite their best attempts. A separate investigation was also conducted by the Vigilance Department, which later terminated the case due to its inability to locate the original letter and the fact that no appointments were made as a result of the Mayor’s alleged letter to Nagappan.

As previously reported, D R Anil resigned from his position as chairman of the Public Works Standing Committee on Saturday by submitting a letter to the corporation secretary.

0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *