Christmas is the grand festival celebrated across the globe right before the year is about to end. And the New Year celebration is the best way to ring in another beautiful year filled with hope and opportunities. These two occasions are observed within one week, which gives people more reasons to celebrate.
Well, what is better than celebrating these two occasions than traveling to amazing holiday places in India? After all, the country is packed with perfect holiday destinations to bid goodbye to the past year and start a New Year with positivity with your friends and family. Here are a few that should be on your bucket list.
Known for exotic beaches, delicious seafood, and wild night parties, Goa is a rocking destination for India’s Christmas and New Year celebrations. Getting lost in the rhythm of trance music while sipping cheap beer is something you won’t mind doing all night long. To celebrate traditionally, you can attend midnight mass in the churches of Goa and sing carols. We bet you’ll never run out of options for places to visit in India during Christmas during the festive season.
- Major Attractions. Baga Beach, Varkala Beach, Anjuna Beach, Basilica of Bom Jesus, Santa Cruz Church, Fort Aguada, Doodhsagar Falls.
- Things to do. Visit flea markets and shop for trinkets, groove to foot-tapping music, gaming at famous casinos, enjoy cruise parties, attend midnight mass church, engage in thrilling water-based activities, gorge on scrumptious seafood and chilled drinks, and a lot more!
A trip to Pondicherry on Christmas is something you shouldn’t miss. The pleasant weather, serene beaches, and beautifully decorated churches make it a perfect holiday place for a Christmas celebration in India. The exciting performances on the streets and the fireworks display are something to look out for during New Year in Pondicherry. Mark our words with your loved ones in this little French colony; you will surely enjoy every bit of it.
- Major Attractions. Arulmigu Manakala Vinayagar Devsthanam, The Scared Heart Basilica, Auroville, Shri Aurbindo Ashram, Paradise Beach, Puducherry Museum
- Things to do. Boat ride to Paradise Beach Island, bird watching at Ousteri Lake, watch sunrise at Promenade Beach, water activities at Paradise Beach, meditate at Auroville, Heritage walk in White Town
Are you dreaming of a snowy Christmas celebration this year? Well, you must head to Shimla to celebrate amidst snow-capped hills, take a stroll at the Mall Road and enjoy a delicious meal at British-era cafes. Since it is one of the best Christmas destinations in India, the hotels and resorts in Shimla arrange fun New Year’s Eve parties to pull the crazy crowd from across the country. You can’t afford to miss all the fun Shimla offers during this time of the year.
- Major Attractions. Kali Bari Temple, Christ Church, Viceregal Lodge & Botanical Gardens, The Ridge, Hanuman Mandir Jakhoo, Himachal State Museum
- Things to do. Riding in a toy train, rafting at Tattapani, paying respects to the divine deity at Jakhu Temple, shopping at Lakkar Bazaar, cycling, camping, paragliding
The scenic beauty and camping adventure make Kasol one of the best places to celebrate New Year in India. But that’s not it. Besides great overnight camping and good food, it hosts some of the best music festivals and vibrant parties during New Year in India. This trippy hippy destination in Himachal is the perfect holiday place for those who live for trance music and happening parties.
- Major Attractions. Chalal Trek Trail, Manikaran, Kasol Bridge, Nature Park Kasol, Kasol Temple, Parvathi Valley, Kheer Ganga Peak, Tosh Village
- Things to do. Trekking at Kheerganga Trek, paying respects at Manikaran Sahib Gurudwara, relaxing in the soothing water of hot springs, fishing at Naggar, and riverside camping
If you want to celebrate Christmas and New Year close to nature, travel to Auli. Apart from panoramic views, this natural wonderland offers adventurous activities like skiing, hiking, and paragliding. You can also take a stroll around coniferous jungles and pastures to absorb the natural beauty of this place as much as you can. Go with your gang to celebrate Christmas by skiing, sightseeing, and ringing in the New Year with a wild and memorable party. Auli is undoubtedly one of the most amazing places to visit in India during New Year.
- Major Attractions. Auli Ropeway, Gorson Bugyal, Auli Artificial Lake, Chattrakund, Chenab Lake, Joshimath, Narsingh Temple, Auli Chair Lift
- Things to do. Skiing on snowy slopes, cable car ride, camping under star-lit sky, trekking at Auli Gorson trek, a visit to the Chenab Lake, enjoy the beauty of Trishul Peak, connect with nature at Nanda Devi National Park
Andaman & Nicobar islands
The ideal temperature with fewer downpours during the winter months makes Andaman & Nicobar islands one of India’s perfect Christmas and New Year destinations. During this time of the year, tourists fly to this place for sightseeing, indulge in water sports, and enjoy the nightlife. Ring in the New Year while experiencing the underwater world along with the ancient architecture of Andaman & Nicobar.
- Major Attractions. Cellular Jail, Naval Marine Museum Samudrika, Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park, Neil Island, Elephant Beach, Chidiya Tapu Beach
- Things to do. Explore the underwater world by engaging in activities like scuba diving and snorkeling, travelling in a seaplane, swimming with elephants, island hopping, candle-lit dinner on the beach, and experiencing the bioluminescence
Gokarna is a town located in the Southwestern Indian state of Karnataka. It is also known as the quieter version of Goa. Apart from serene beaches and waterfalls, the Mahabaleshwar Temple of Gokarna attracts devotees from around the nation. Winters in Gokarna are mildly cold and lively, where you can celebrate Christmas and welcome the New Year slowly and peacefully. Indulge in watersport activities and lush green surroundings and party on the serene beaches of Gokarna with friends and family. Truly, Gokarna is one of the best New Year destinations in India.
- Major Attractions. Gokarna Cliff, Bhadrakali Temple, Belekan Beach, Subrahmanya Temple, Paradise Beach, Shiva Cave, Yana Cave, Mahabaleshwar Temple, Maha Ganpati Temple
- Things to do. A spiritual sojourn to Mahabaleshwar Temple, an exciting banana boat ride, gorgeous sunset views at Kudle Beach, collecting shells at the beach, shopping at a flea market, and a variety of beach activities